With STACKIT Block Storage a high-performance storage system are available to provide persistent data storage for virtual machines (volumes). Each VM is created with an initial (root) volume (or "datastore" or "drive") when it is created (see Basic Concepts Compute Engine). Additional volumes can be created and attached to a VM. These volumes are then available in the operating system as additional drives.
- Storage provisioning for virtual machines (disk volumes) and snapshots.
- Provisioning the disk volume from an operating system image.
- Provisioning the disk volume from a snapshot.
- Long-term storage of data (e.g. application data).
- Provision in different performance classes.